Add your own 3.5" drives to this four bay enclosure.
Empower your workflow with up to 35% faster RAID 5 performance and exponentially faster rebuild times than comparable hardware based RAID arrays.
Hardware RAID has long been thought to be superior to software RAID, but we've now combined the massive performance and capacity of ThunderBay 4 with a robust, proven software RAID engine to provide breathtaking performance, flexibility, and reliability. Over a year ago, OWC partnered with SoftRAID to bring enhanced storage capabilities to the Mac, and we're now seeing that dream become a reality. SoftRAID combines advanced RAID modes, fast performance, monitoring, e-mail notification, and fast rebuild capabilities that only software RAID can deliver.
RAID 5 merges the four drives inside ThunderBay together for exponential performance gains over a single drive, the combined capacity of three of the drives, and data redundancy that allows the array to still work even if one drive were to fail!
Software RAID easily lets you setup drive monitoring and e-mail notifications to keep you informed about your ThunderBay's performance and drive health. Helping you to maintain mission critical workflows.
ThunderBay 4 with SoftRAID offers faster performance than many competing 4 or even 5-bay hardware RAID external drives – benefiting from modern processors that are both fast and designed for exceptionally high-performance RAID management with no real-world impact on apps or tasks.
SoftRAID is extremely flexible and can easily be updated, reconfigured and used across multiple enclosures to provide an amazing amount of robust options to empower you to make the most of your ThunderBay workflow.
Time-Tested Cooling - Built on OWC's time-tested enclosure cooling technology, ThunderBay utilises an open "flow-thru" vented design with an oversized 92 mm, low-turbulence, noise-quieting fan to keep the drives running cool and reliably.
Buyers note: RAID 4/5/1+0 (10) are currently Mac only. Only RAID 0 and RAID 1 are supported by Windows 10/PC.
- Fits both 2.5" and 3.5" drives
- User configurable in RAID 0, 1, 4, 5 & 1+0
- Up to 650MB/s read / 446MB/s write RAID 5 performance
- Exponentially faster rebuild times than hardware RAID
Compatible with the devices listed below.
- Thunderbolt 2
- JBOD / RAID Support
- JBOD: Utilise each of the four drives independently.
- RAID: Use any Software RAID of your choice to setup the ThunderBay 4 for multi-drive performance or data redundancy.
- Four 3.5" SATA hard drives
- Four 2.5" SATA hard drives or SSDs
- Port Configuration
- 2 x Thunderbolt 2 ports
- Max Data Transfer Rate
- Thunderbolt 2 – 20Gb/sec
- Port/Interface Bootability
- It can be used as a Thunderbolt startup drive on Macs running Mac OS X.
- System Requirements
- Any Mac with a Thunderbolt port running OS X 10.9 or later.
- Power Supply
- Internal UL Listed U.S./International Auto Switching 100 ~ 240v, 50/60Hz input, 12 Volt 16.66 Amp output Power Supply. Correct Plug supplied based on order country destination.
- External Case Dimensions
- 245.11mm x 134.87mm x 176.78mm
- Enclosure Weight (no accessories)
- Approximately 8.6 pounds (3.9kg)
What's in the box?
- 1 x OWC ThunderBay 4 high performance hard drive enclosure
- 1 x SoftRAID XT
- 1 x Thunderbolt cable
- 1 x UL-certified 3-prong power cable 2 x keys for front panel lock
- 1 x ThunderBay 4 Assembly Manual & User Guide (Download Only)
- 1 x SoftRAID XT Quick Start Guide
- 1 x ThunderBay 4 Quick Start Guide
- 1 Year OWC Enclosure Limited Warranty.