OWC Mercury Pro LTO
M&E professionals, corporations, government branches, and small businesses are all facing the same challenge: how to manage an ever-increasing amount of more complex data. Higher resolution, complex audio, and diverse formats are the project norm. Organisational content is projected to grow 50-70% annually as more data is digitalised. Licensing, regulatory, and compliance requirements are becoming more stringent.
The OWC Mercury Pro LTO is the answer to this challenge. This easily integrated tape backup and archiving solution is a mission-critical requirement for protecting and preserving huge volumes of data for longer periods with familiar drag-and-drop operation, and better economies of scale than disk-based storage. Ruggedly small with a built-in handle, the Mercury Pro LTO is able to go on-set or move among studio, department, or office computers for a shared data protection solution.
Archiving Made Drag and Drop Easy
There’s a priceless convenience of familiarity in using the OWC Mercury Pro LTO to protect your data. By using archiving industry standard Linear Tape Open (LTO) tapes formatted with the Linear Tape File System (LTFS), the tapes can be accessed on your computer just like a hard drive or SSD. Files appear in folders and moving them to and from tape is drag-and-drop easy. Compatibility has never been simpler. Thanks to LTFS, LTO tapes can be read from a Mac, PC, or Linux system so there’s no extra software to buy or proprietary hardware concerns.
The Perfect Solution For a Variety of Industries
LTO Tape archiving is used by a wide variety of industries for diverse needs…
- Anyone seeking offsite data storage that is separated from the read/write host.
- Businesses desiring database and content backup protection against ransomware, cyber-attacks, and operations disruption due to natural disasters.
- Local/State/Federal Government agencies with ISR (Intelligence, Surveillance, Reconnaissance) workflows; video and files related to law/ordinance passage and day-to-day operations.
- Healthcare providers and organisations with medical records and imaging data.
- Educational institutions needing to keep a myriad of data - including research - produced by students, teachers, and professors accessibly protected while freeing up more costly storage options for short term use and backup.
- Video surveillance operations with increasing number of higher resolution colourised cameras.
- Motion Picture industry production companies needing to meet bondable and insurable archive requirements.
- Digital media companies can free up production disk capacity and shorten production windows by reusing and editing existing footage for new productions.
Simple Workflow Integration and Expansion
The Mercury Pro LTO enables you to archive data seamlessly in your workflow via the included Thunderbolt 3 cable connected to your Mac or PC. You can also optionally enhance your workflow by…
- Adding up to a 16TB SATA/SAS SSD to the 2.5/3.5-inch drive expansion bay for extra storage and backup capacity.
- Connecting a USB 3.0, USB-C, or Thunderbolt 3 device to the Mercury Pro LTO’s second Thunderbolt 3 port for added functionalities.
- Adding a second display with up to 8K resolution via the DisplayPort 1.4 interface.
- Keeping your notebook charged with the 85W Thunderbolt 3 port.
Use Case Spotlight: Netflix Data Management Requirements
LTO solutions like the Mercury Pro LTO have become a workflow requirement for production companies like Netflix to safeguard original camera footage, provide off-site backup, and fulfil long-term archiving of series and films. Employing a 3:2:1 rule, Netflix specifies its partners must…
- Hold at least 3 copies of all Original Camera Footage (OCF) and audio at all times.
- Store the copies on 2 different types of media.
- Maintain at least 1 backup offsite.
Completes the OWC Solution
Thanks to the Mercury Pro LTO, OWC now offers the film industry, corporations, government branches, and even small businesses a trustworthy “ingest to archive” single source. With portable data capture options like the ThunderBlade, Express 4M2, and Envoy Pro EX; desktop options like the ThunderBay line-up: and internal drive options like the Accelsior 4M2 and Mercury Extreme Pro 6G 2.5 inch SSD, OWC is the one project source that does it all for all those that create data.
- Compatible: built-in LTO-7 drive read and writes LTO-7/LTO-6 tapes and reads LTO-5 tapes
- Expansive storage: LTO-7 up to 6TB native
- Store more: add optional 2.5/3.5-inch drive with expansion bay
- Store longer: 30+ years tape longevity
- Instant ROI: offers a 577% ROI with up to 53% lower costs vs HDD storage
- Flexible: works with your favourite archiving software including OWC ArGest Backup
- Compliance ready: supports WORM cartridges required by legal and regulatory record keeping
- Fast tape creation: up to 300MB/s native
In this video, we show you how to install a 2.5 or 3.5-inch drive in the OWC Mercury Pro LTO Solution.
Compatible with the devices listed below.
- MacBookPro13,1 MacBookPro13,2
- Core i5, Core i7
- (2.0 GHz, 2.4 GHz, 2.9 GHz, 3.1 GHz, 3.3 GHz)
- MacBookPro14,1 MacBookPro14,2
- Core i5, Core i7
- (2.3 GHz, 2.5 GHz, 3.1 GHz, 3.3 GHz, 3.5 GHz)
- iMac20,1 iMac20,2
- Core i5, Core i7, Core i9
- (3.1 GHz, 3.3 GHz, 3.8 GHz, 3.6 GHz, 3.8 GHz, 3.6 GHz)
- LTO Mechanism
- IBM LTO Ultrium 7
- LTO Speed (Max)
- LTO-7: up to 300MB/s native (750MB/s compressed)
- LTO Media Supported
- LTO-5 (Read only)
- LTO Media Included
- Fujifilm LTO-7 6TB data cartridge
- LTO Cleaning Media
- Mechanisms Supported
- 2.5 inch SATA drives
- 3.5 inch SATA drives
- 2.5 inch SAS drives
- 3.5 inch SAS drives
- Display Support
- Up to one 8K display @ 60Hz,
- or one 4K display @ 120Hz,
- or one 5K display @ 60Hz,
- or two 4K displays @ 60Hz,
- or one 4K display @ 60Hz and one 4K display @ 30Hz,
- or one 4K display @ 60Hz,
- or one 4K display @ 30Hz
- Display Support by Port
- Thunderbolt 3: up to 5K @ 60Hz via a native Thunderbolt 3 display or 4K @ 60Hz via a Thunderbolt display or a USB-C display adapter
- DisplayPort 1.4: up to 8K @ 60Hz or 4K @ 120Hz
- Thunderbolt: intel JHL7440
- BSMI, CE, FCC, RCM, VCCI
- Data Transfer Rate
- Thunderbolt 3: up to 40 Gb/s (or 5000 MB/s)
- MTBF (Mean Time Between Failures)
- Varies depending on drive mechanism installed
- Contact Start Stop
- Varies depending on drive mechanism installed
- Mac OS Compatibility
- macOS 10.14 Mojave
- macOS 10.15 Catalina
- macOS 11.x Big Sur
- macOS 12.x Monterey
- PC OS Compatibility
- Windows 10 64-bit edition
- Linux OS Compatibility
- Host Port Requirements
- Thunderbolt 3
- Driver Required
- Installation of the ATTO SAS HBA Driver is required to utilise the Mercury Pro LTO drive with your favourite backup and archival software
- If your software requires LTFS support, please install the IBM LTFS Software included on the driver disk image
- If you wish to preinstall the IBM Diagnostic tools, please install the IBM ITDT package included on the driver disk image. This package is not required for operation but may be required by OWC’s support team if you are contacting them with a possible device failure
- Power Supply
- Internal UL-listed universal auto-switching power supply
- AC Input
- 90-264V, 47-63Hz, 1.0A-1.8A
- DC Output
- +12V, 16.7A
- External Power Adapter
- Number of Bays
- Device Ports
- 2 x Thunderbolt 3 (USB-C) ports
- 1 x DisplayPort port
- 1 x cooling fan
- Security Slot
- Housing Material
- H: 232 x L: 292 x W: 155 mm
- 550 g
What's in the box?
- 1 x OWC Mercury Pro LTO LTO-7 Thunderbolt Tape Drive
- 1 x LTO-7 Tape (6TB Native, 15TB Compressed)
- 1 x Cleaning Tape
- 1 x Thunderbolt 3 Cable
- 1 x Power Cable
- 1 x Quick Start Guide
- 3 Year Limited Warranty